National Nutrition Month is celebrated every March which focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. The theme for 2018 is “Go Further with Food” which encourages everyone to prepare meals in advance to enjoy throughout the week. Planning and cooking meals in advance can help reduce food loss and waste. Below are some tips to save you time and money by preparing your meals ahead.
- Look in the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry first for foods that need to be used up.
- Find recipes that use those ingredients.
- Buy the amount of food that can be eaten or frozen with a few days.
- Place foods that spoil quickly within sight.
- Eat leftovers within 3 to 4 days (or freeze for up to 3 to 4 months).
- Store produce properly.
- Be mindful of portion sizes-focus of feeling satisfied instead of stuffed.
For more information visit, https://www.eatright.org/food/resources/national-nutrition-month/national-nutrition-month-celebration-toolkit