The Great American Smokeout, a day when those who are still smoking are encouraged to quit, is this Thursday, November 21. In Morris County only 14% of adults still choose to smoke. We are beginning to see an increase in smoking in middle and high schoolers. The cost for tobacco related illness in the United States is $96 billion.
The health benefits of quitting smoking start immediately from the moment of smoking cessation.
- 20 minutes after quitting your heart rate and blood pressure drop,
- 12 hours after quitting the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal
- 2 weeks – 3 months your circulation improves and your lung function increases
- 1 – 9 months coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia start to regain normal funtion in the lungs
- 1 year after quitting the excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a continuing smoker’s